Church of Santa Maria La Cava
Print Friendly
Chiesa do Santa Maria La Cava 6 - Fine Art Produzioni

After reaching the Piazza Filippo Cordova, you will notice the Torre Adelasia. It is a quite unusual architectural feature for the urban landscape of the town of Aidone. Today what is bell tower of the adjacent church of Santa Maria La Cava and forms part of the walls of the village had defensive functions during the Norman era. The first order remains from the original structure, including a pointed arch, and inside is a cross vault. It is one of the most reworked buildings in Aidone, with its Norman, Gothic-Catalan residues from the 16th century second floor, and the 18th century top floor. It is the result of various stylistic methods (incomplete projects are captured particularly in the facade that betrays a disregarded ambition for three naves), but especially the intervention of natural disaster for excellence, at least in eastern Sicily, or the earthquake of 1693. But who was Adelasia? The woman who seems to have wanted to bring the church of Santa Maria to life was conceivably the granddaughter of Count Ruggero. The princess, following a series of personal vicissitudes, built the church and dedicated it to the Mater Deo, to whom the Normans were devout and thanked for their victories. In spring on May 1, the church celebrates the statue of San Filippo Apostle, attracting pilgrims from across the province of Enna.

 

Via Sacerdote Trupia, 2 – 94010 Aidone (EN)
Phone: 0935 86835; 0935/1808001; 338/6448462 (Sac. Don Carmelo Cosenza doncarmelo1@virgilio.it)
Open all day: from 8.30 am to 12.15 am – from 4 pm to 9 pm

 

  Click to listen highlighted text! After reaching the Piazza Filippo Cordova, you will notice the Torre Adelasia. It is a quite unusual architectural feature for the urban landscape of the town of Aidone. Today what is bell tower of the adjacent church of Santa Maria La Cava and forms part of the walls of the village had defensive functions during the Norman era. The first order remains from the original structure, including a pointed arch, and inside is a cross vault. It is one of the most reworked buildings in Aidone, with its Norman, Gothic-Catalan residues from the 16th century second floor, and the 18th century top floor. It is the result of various stylistic methods (incomplete projects are captured particularly in the facade that betrays a disregarded ambition for three naves), but especially the intervention of natural disaster for excellence, at least in eastern Sicily, or the earthquake of 1693. But who was Adelasia? The woman who seems to have wanted to bring the church of Santa Maria to life was conceivably the granddaughter of Count Ruggero. The princess, following a series of personal vicissitudes, built the church and dedicated it to the Mater Deo, to whom the Normans were devout and thanked for their victories. In spring on May 1, the church celebrates the statue of San Filippo Apostle, attracting pilgrims from across the province of Enna.   Via Sacerdote Trupia, 2 – 94010 Aidone (EN) Phone: 0935 86835; 0935/1808001; 338/6448462 (Sac. Don Carmelo Cosenza doncarmelo1@virgilio.it) Open all day: from 8.30 am to 12.15 am – from 4 pm to 9 pm  

 

 


BOOKING ONLINE

Scopri le strutture ricettive con il marchio di qualità del Distretto e riservati il posto migliore.

Il servizio sarà disponibile a breve

Gli Itinerarissimi

Componi con noi il puzzle delle Tue esperienze nel territorio del distretto.

Apri la brochure