Cathedral of San Giuliano
Chiesa di San Giuliano 6 - Fine Art Produzioni

In the heart of the historical center, on Via Duomo is the main church of Caltagirone and the home of the diocese is dedicated to San Giuliano. Built in Norman times, the church was badly damaged during the earthquakes of 1542 and 1693, as evidenced by some remains now preserved in the city’s Regional Museum of Ceramics. The rebuilt temple of San Giuliano only became a cathedral in 1816, the year the Diocese of Caltagirone was established. The magnificent and impressive cupola in floral Liberty style, was recently covered with local ceramic, while the bell tower standing 48 meters high dominates the main facade today. The interior of the church has three naves that were once embellished by a series of frescoes from 1862 by the painter Giuseppe Vaccaro. Also of great value are the side altars in the transept: one of them holds the urn that preserves the wooden statue of the dead Christ and the other one has the relics of Blessed Lucia from Caltagirone. In June 1920, Pope Benedict XV raised the cathedral of San Giuliano to the rank of minor basilica.

 

 

Via Duomo, 1- 95041 Caltagirone (CT)
Phone / Fax: 0933 24373;
E-mail: cattedralecaltagirone@gmail.com

 

 

  Click to listen highlighted text! In the heart of the historical center, on Via Duomo is the main church of Caltagirone and the home of the diocese is dedicated to San Giuliano. Built in Norman times, the church was badly damaged during the earthquakes of 1542 and 1693, as evidenced by some remains now preserved in the city’s Regional Museum of Ceramics. The rebuilt temple of San Giuliano only became a cathedral in 1816, the year the Diocese of Caltagirone was established. The magnificent and impressive cupola in floral Liberty style, was recently covered with local ceramic, while the bell tower standing 48 meters high dominates the main facade today. The interior of the church has three naves that were once embellished by a series of frescoes from 1862 by the painter Giuseppe Vaccaro. Also of great value are the side altars in the transept: one of them holds the urn that preserves the wooden statue of the dead Christ and the other one has the relics of Blessed Lucia from Caltagirone. In June 1920, Pope Benedict XV raised the cathedral of San Giuliano to the rank of minor basilica.     Via Duomo, 1- 95041 Caltagirone (CT) Phone / Fax: 0933 24373; E-mail: cattedralecaltagirone@gmail.com    

 

 

 


BOOKING ONLINE

Scopri le strutture ricettive con il marchio di qualità del Distretto e riservati il posto migliore.

Il servizio sarà disponibile a breve

Tourcoupon

Scopri le offerte pensate per te.

Il servizio sarà disponibile a breve