Church of Santa Maria del Monte
Chiesa di Santa Maria del Monte 8 - Fine Art Produzioni

The Church of Santa Maria del Monte is located in the oldest part of town, on top of the famous staircase. Before the construction of the San Giuliano cathedral, it was the city’s main church. The staircase of Caltagirone, which bears the same name as the church, was built in 1606 with the intention of directly combining the main church with Palazzo di Città. The Church of Santa Maria del Monte was repeatedly damaged and rebuilt, the building is especially dear to the people of Caltagirone since it houses the sacred image of Our Lady of Conadomini, who arrived in the city in the first half of 1200. A key feature of the work is that it is painted on both sides: on one side is the image of the Byzantine Conadomini and the other a dead Christ who rises from the grave. The vault of the central nave of the church is also worth noting, it is decorated with frescoes painted in the early 19th century by the Vaccaro brothers Vaccaro. Throughout the month of May, the sacred building is the destination of faithful and pilgrims paying homage to the Virgin Mary. Since 1644 she has been invoked as patron along with San Giacomo.

 

 

  Click to listen highlighted text! The Church of Santa Maria del Monte is located in the oldest part of town, on top of the famous staircase. Before the construction of the San Giuliano cathedral, it was the city’s main church. The staircase of Caltagirone, which bears the same name as the church, was built in 1606 with the intention of directly combining the main church with Palazzo di Città. The Church of Santa Maria del Monte was repeatedly damaged and rebuilt, the building is especially dear to the people of Caltagirone since it houses the sacred image of Our Lady of Conadomini, who arrived in the city in the first half of 1200. A key feature of the work is that it is painted on both sides: on one side is the image of the Byzantine Conadomini and the other a dead Christ who rises from the grave. The vault of the central nave of the church is also worth noting, it is decorated with frescoes painted in the early 19th century by the Vaccaro brothers Vaccaro. Throughout the month of May, the sacred building is the destination of faithful and pilgrims paying homage to the Virgin Mary. Since 1644 she has been invoked as patron along with San Giacomo.    

 

 


BOOKING ONLINE

Scopri le strutture ricettive con il marchio di qualità del Distretto e riservati il posto migliore.

Il servizio sarà disponibile a breve

Tourcoupon

Scopri le offerte pensate per te.

Il servizio sarà disponibile a breve