Piazza Margherita

It was commissioned by the first prince to maintain have a vivid memory of the Quattro Canti of Palermo. He himself inaugurated it in 1625, and when he was made magistrate of the city, it formed the market square since it faced as many as 16 workshops, four on each side. In 1741 Ercole Branciforti, 4th prince of Leonforte, commissioned the sculptor from Palermo, F. La Marca for the beautification of the Piazza Rotonda, as it was called. It was carried out according to the plan drawn up by M. Blasco, a famous military engineer. Each quarter circle provides for the presence of a fountain, balconies and a shield emblazoned by the Branciforti. There was a fountain at the center of the square until the 19th century.

 

  Click to listen highlighted text! It was commissioned by the first prince to maintain have a vivid memory of the Quattro Canti of Palermo. He himself inaugurated it in 1625, and when he was made magistrate of the city, it formed the market square since it faced as many as 16 workshops, four on each side. In 1741 Ercole Branciforti, 4th prince of Leonforte, commissioned the sculptor from Palermo, F. La Marca for the beautification of the Piazza Rotonda, as it was called. It was carried out according to the plan drawn up by M. Blasco, a famous military engineer. Each quarter circle provides for the presence of a fountain, balconies and a shield emblazoned by the Branciforti. There was a fountain at the center of the square until the 19th century.  


BOOKING ONLINE

Scopri le strutture ricettive con il marchio di qualità del Distretto e riservati il posto migliore.

Il servizio sarà disponibile a breve

Tourcoupon

Scopri le offerte pensate per te.

Il servizio sarà disponibile a breve