Church of the Mother of the Immaculate Conception
Print Friendly
Duomo 10 - Fine Art Produzioni

In the heart of the city center is the Church of the Mother of the Immaculate Conception. It was designed around the first decades of the 17th century and opened for worship in 1728; it was elevated to the rank of Collegiate Church under the pontificate of Pope Benedict XIV in 1747. The facade has three floors and was completed in the19th century; it has some attractive curves and contains the clock and bell tower on the last floor; rising above the roofs of Centuripe it is visible from most parts of town.
The church’s interior has a Latin cross plan, supported by ten pillars that divide it into three naves. The two transept altars are dedicated to the patron saints of Centuripe, Rosalia and Prospero. The central apse houses the main altar where there was once a pipe organ. The wooden pulpit of the nave is decorated with gold inlays and finely crafted reliefs, is remarkable. The pulpit has six spirals plus one at the lower pole decorated in gold. The main church is the heart of popular religious functions, and therefore home to many the sacred ornaments dedicated to them. Among them is the famous “Tiledda”, a sea blue canvas that has a monochrome painting representing the deposition of Christ. The canvas, completed at the end of the 800s, was constructed with twelve strips of cloth woven by hand by noble families of the time.

 

Piazza Duomo, 94010 Centuripe (EN)

 

  Click to listen highlighted text! In the heart of the city center is the Church of the Mother of the Immaculate Conception. It was designed around the first decades of the 17th century and opened for worship in 1728; it was elevated to the rank of Collegiate Church under the pontificate of Pope Benedict XIV in 1747. The facade has three floors and was completed in the19th century; it has some attractive curves and contains the clock and bell tower on the last floor; rising above the roofs of Centuripe it is visible from most parts of town. The church’s interior has a Latin cross plan, supported by ten pillars that divide it into three naves. The two transept altars are dedicated to the patron saints of Centuripe, Rosalia and Prospero. The central apse houses the main altar where there was once a pipe organ. The wooden pulpit of the nave is decorated with gold inlays and finely crafted reliefs, is remarkable. The pulpit has six spirals plus one at the lower pole decorated in gold. The main church is the heart of popular religious functions, and therefore home to many the sacred ornaments dedicated to them. Among them is the famous “Tiledda”, a sea blue canvas that has a monochrome painting representing the deposition of Christ. The canvas, completed at the end of the 800s, was constructed with twelve strips of cloth woven by hand by noble families of the time.   Piazza Duomo, 94010 Centuripe (EN)  

 

 


BOOKING ONLINE

Scopri le strutture ricettive con il marchio di qualità del Distretto e riservati il posto migliore.

Il servizio sarà disponibile a breve

Tourcoupon

Scopri le offerte pensate per te.

Il servizio sarà disponibile a breve