Church of San Rocco (Fundrò) and Benedictine Convent
Print Friendly

The church found in Piazza Giuseppe Garibaldi is named after St. Rocco, for having saved the Piazzesi from the plague and was built in 1613. But in 1622 it was assigned to the Benedictine Abbey of Fundrò, a rural town located a few kilometers from the city; which was destroyed in 1396, after a struggle between Catalan and Latin factions. At first, the Benedictines had rebuilt church and convent in the same village, but two centuries later a fire had forced them to take refuge in Piazza where they could build their convent beside the church of St. Rocco, which now houses the City Council. The façade is embellished with a sumptuous sandstone portal and has two pilasters on each side with Doric capitals and feathered reliefs. A lintel and a richly carved cornice surmount the whole thing. The carved wooden door panels are worth mentioning with their characteristic floral design, which appears halfway up the stairway. The interior has a single nave divided into four bays by pilasters with Doric capitals. Of particular interest inside, is the statue of St. Rocco, a painting of the Madonna with monstrance and another canvas with the Communion of Benedictine Fathers. Also of remarkable is the illusionary decorative fresco on the back wall of the sanctuary.

 

 

Piazza Garibaldi, 94015 Piazza Armerina (EN)
Email: vicarioforaneo@gmail.com
Phones: 3397905522 – 0934346114
Open every day after 5.00 pm, except unavailability of the pastor.

 

 

  Click to listen highlighted text! The church found in Piazza Giuseppe Garibaldi is named after St. Rocco, for having saved the Piazzesi from the plague and was built in 1613. But in 1622 it was assigned to the Benedictine Abbey of Fundrò, a rural town located a few kilometers from the city; which was destroyed in 1396, after a struggle between Catalan and Latin factions. At first, the Benedictines had rebuilt church and convent in the same village, but two centuries later a fire had forced them to take refuge in Piazza where they could build their convent beside the church of St. Rocco, which now houses the City Council. The façade is embellished with a sumptuous sandstone portal and has two pilasters on each side with Doric capitals and feathered reliefs. A lintel and a richly carved cornice surmount the whole thing. The carved wooden door panels are worth mentioning with their characteristic floral design, which appears halfway up the stairway. The interior has a single nave divided into four bays by pilasters with Doric capitals. Of particular interest inside, is the statue of St. Rocco, a painting of the Madonna with monstrance and another canvas with the Communion of Benedictine Fathers. Also of remarkable is the illusionary decorative fresco on the back wall of the sanctuary.     Piazza Garibaldi, 94015 Piazza Armerina (EN) Email: vicarioforaneo@gmail.com Phones: 3397905522 – 0934346114 Open every day after 5.00 pm, except unavailability of the pastor.    

 


BOOKING ONLINE

Scopri le strutture ricettive con il marchio di qualità del Distretto e riservati il posto migliore.

Il servizio sarà disponibile a breve

Tourcoupon

Scopri le offerte pensate per te.

Il servizio sarà disponibile a breve