Cathedral of Piazza Armerina
Print Friendly
Duomo 9 - Fine Art Produzioni

The Cathedral of Piazza Armerina is one of the greatest churches in Sicily, built in the 16th century on a hilltop. It is an elegant Gothic-Aragonese church, enriched between 400 and 500 with a superb bell tower, adorned with arch windows. The building is 70 meters long and is inspired by mannerist architecture from the late 16th century, with its solid robustness softened by large baroque spirals. The front and side steps soar upward, culminating at the lantern in the majestic dome, over 76 meters high with a diameter of about 14 meters, which is spread out on a cross vault. The tall and severe facade has a large window in the gable and a large doorway with twisted columns, built in 1719, which is accessed by two staircases. The interior has a Latin cross, a wide single nave and an interconnected side chapel punctuated by beautiful pillars with paired pilasters and expands into the transept with light that rains down from the great dome and the stained glass windows of the presbytery. A terracotta Ecce Homo attributed to the Gagni school is on The second altar on the left, in a wooden temple. In the left wing of the transept are: the ‘”Assumption” by Filippo Paladino (1612) on the left altar; in front of the entrance to the sacristy are the portraits of the most distinguished bishops and priests in the city’s history and in turn, a fresco from 1600 depicting Marco Trigona and Laura de Assoro that offers the temple to the Virgin. You can enjoy a beautiful view of the city and the countryside from the courtyard.

 

 

  Click to listen highlighted text! The Cathedral of Piazza Armerina is one of the greatest churches in Sicily, built in the 16th century on a hilltop. It is an elegant Gothic-Aragonese church, enriched between 400 and 500 with a superb bell tower, adorned with arch windows. The building is 70 meters long and is inspired by mannerist architecture from the late 16th century, with its solid robustness softened by large baroque spirals. The front and side steps soar upward, culminating at the lantern in the majestic dome, over 76 meters high with a diameter of about 14 meters, which is spread out on a cross vault. The tall and severe facade has a large window in the gable and a large doorway with twisted columns, built in 1719, which is accessed by two staircases. The interior has a Latin cross, a wide single nave and an interconnected side chapel punctuated by beautiful pillars with paired pilasters and expands into the transept with light that rains down from the great dome and the stained glass windows of the presbytery. A terracotta Ecce Homo attributed to the Gagni school is on The second altar on the left, in a wooden temple. In the left wing of the transept are: the ‘”Assumption” by Filippo Paladino (1612) on the left altar; in front of the entrance to the sacristy are the portraits of the most distinguished bishops and priests in the city’s history and in turn, a fresco from 1600 depicting Marco Trigona and Laura de Assoro that offers the temple to the Virgin. You can enjoy a beautiful view of the city and the countryside from the courtyard.    

 

 

 


BOOKING ONLINE

Scopri le strutture ricettive con il marchio di qualità del Distretto e riservati il posto migliore.

Il servizio sarà disponibile a breve

Gli Itinerarissimi

Componi con noi il puzzle delle Tue esperienze nel territorio del distretto.

Apri la brochure