Ancient village of Carcaci
Print Friendly
Carcaci 10 - Fine Art Produzioni

About 10 kilometers from Centuripe, on the road that leads from Catania to Adrano, you come across a sort of square (an open space actually) after crossing the Simeto. It is half bordered by houses, from which some streets depart and meander into the countryside.  One of these (to the southeast) rises slightly up to a scenic church with a centric plan. On either side of the road, a sequence of similar buildings enhances the strong symmetry of what looks like a small village with a rigorous planimetric layout. This is the settlement of the former duchy of Carcaci, one of the strongholds most coveted by Sicilian aristocratic families at the time due to its proximity to a major communication artery of communication (the “regia trazzera” that led from Adrano to San Filippo of Agira, and from there it headed to Palermo), and the abundance of water from the Simeto and Troina rivers, which guaranteed fertility to the soil and generous crops. In fact, in 700 it became a Duchy of the illustrious Paternò-Castello family, under which it experienced a period of flourishing activities. This continued until the abolition of feudalism in 1818 and the Duchy of Carcaci became a municipality and joined Centuripe. Although it is abandoned, its old world charm still remains with, the unaltered symmetry of its cross-layout, rural houses, the warehouses and the cozy abode of owner the owner of the small stone church.

 

Frazione Carcaci, 94010 Centuripe (EN)

Visitable from the outside. Church opens only during religious services

 

  Click to listen highlighted text! About 10 kilometers from Centuripe, on the road that leads from Catania to Adrano, you come across a sort of square (an open space actually) after crossing the Simeto. It is half bordered by houses, from which some streets depart and meander into the countryside.  One of these (to the southeast) rises slightly up to a scenic church with a centric plan. On either side of the road, a sequence of similar buildings enhances the strong symmetry of what looks like a small village with a rigorous planimetric layout. This is the settlement of the former duchy of Carcaci, one of the strongholds most coveted by Sicilian aristocratic families at the time due to its proximity to a major communication artery of communication (the “regia trazzera” that led from Adrano to San Filippo of Agira, and from there it headed to Palermo), and the abundance of water from the Simeto and Troina rivers, which guaranteed fertility to the soil and generous crops. In fact, in 700 it became a Duchy of the illustrious Paternò-Castello family, under which it experienced a period of flourishing activities. This continued until the abolition of feudalism in 1818 and the Duchy of Carcaci became a municipality and joined Centuripe. Although it is abandoned, its old world charm still remains with, the unaltered symmetry of its cross-layout, rural houses, the warehouses and the cozy abode of owner the owner of the small stone church.   Frazione Carcaci, 94010 Centuripe (EN) Visitable from the outside. Church opens only during religious services  

 


BOOKING ONLINE

Scopri le strutture ricettive con il marchio di qualità del Distretto e riservati il posto migliore.

Il servizio sarà disponibile a breve

Gli Itinerarissimi

Componi con noi il puzzle delle Tue esperienze nel territorio del distretto.

Apri la brochure