Main Church – San Giovanni Battista
Print Friendly
Chiesa Madre 2 - Fine Art Produzioni

Built on the ruins of a pre-existing small church dedicated to the same Saint, it was commissioned by Princess Caterina. Initiated in 1611, the work (entrusted to the Roman architect Alberto Bernarini). It continued until 1659 and was completed in 1740, Prince Ercole entrusted the execution and its completion to the brothers Peter and Paul D’Urso of Acicatena. In 1738 it was made the oratory of S.S. Sacramento, a large room next to the church and current headquarters of the namesake brotherhood. The church has a large intensely decorated exterior, with three doors contained by decorated columns, broken pediments and sculptures. At the top, where two stone balustrades balconies and two large scrolls connect the middle to the side, is the marble inscription with the dedication and the date of construction.
The neoclassical style interior has a Latin cross with three naves separated by marble columns, Corinthian capitals and the front and in the altars is decorated with white stucco and gold.
Of the two inlaid marble altars, one is the original altar of St. John the Baptist from the previous church. It is worth seeing the oil painting depicting “The Expulsion from the Temple” by Marco Antonio Raimondi, in the sacristy, the frescoes on the life of St. John (apse altar) and the Organ built by Donato Del Piano of Naples, restored in 1999.

Via Porta Palermo n. 70- 94013 Leonforte (EN)
Phone: 0935 903427
Open during liturgical services

 

  Click to listen highlighted text! Built on the ruins of a pre-existing small church dedicated to the same Saint, it was commissioned by Princess Caterina. Initiated in 1611, the work (entrusted to the Roman architect Alberto Bernarini). It continued until 1659 and was completed in 1740, Prince Ercole entrusted the execution and its completion to the brothers Peter and Paul D’Urso of Acicatena. In 1738 it was made the oratory of S.S. Sacramento, a large room next to the church and current headquarters of the namesake brotherhood. The church has a large intensely decorated exterior, with three doors contained by decorated columns, broken pediments and sculptures. At the top, where two stone balustrades balconies and two large scrolls connect the middle to the side, is the marble inscription with the dedication and the date of construction. The neoclassical style interior has a Latin cross with three naves separated by marble columns, Corinthian capitals and the front and in the altars is decorated with white stucco and gold. Of the two inlaid marble altars, one is the original altar of St. John the Baptist from the previous church. It is worth seeing the oil painting depicting “The Expulsion from the Temple” by Marco Antonio Raimondi, in the sacristy, the frescoes on the life of St. John (apse altar) and the Organ built by Donato Del Piano of Naples, restored in 1999. Via Porta Palermo n. 70- 94013 Leonforte (EN) Phone: 0935 903427 Open during liturgical services  

 

 


BOOKING ONLINE

Scopri le strutture ricettive con il marchio di qualità del Distretto e riservati il posto migliore.

Il servizio sarà disponibile a breve

Gli Itinerarissimi

Componi con noi il puzzle delle Tue esperienze nel territorio del distretto.

Apri la brochure