Capuchin Convent and Church
Print Friendly
Convento dei cappuccini 8 - Fine Art Produzioni

In order to thank and support the Friars Minor Capuchin Order of St. for their lavish support of the plague victims of 1624-25, Prince N. Placido Branciforte built the convent that boasted thirty cells and a library increased with generous donations by Princess Beatrice, wife of Prince Ercole Branciforte. Following the suppression of religious orders that transferred church property like this to the state, Count G. Calogero Li Destri opposed the measure, years later succeeding in winning it: thus the monastery was granted to the Capuchin Fathers who definitively redeemed him.
The style is simple, almost rustic. The square that hosts it exhibits a bronze statue of St. Francesco. Inside the square-shaped courtyard with a cistern in the center, opening to the kitchen, the cellar and refectory that today houses the town library and its 14,837 volumes. On the first floor the monks occupied the cells until a few years ago.
Inside the crypt is buried Giuseppe Branciforti the second, prince of Leonforte, his wife Caterina and sons Melfhiorre and Baldassarre. In the side nave is the black marble sarcophagus of Lidia, Princess Catherine, wife of N. Placido Branciforti, who died in 1634 at only 42 years of age. Do not miss the picture by the Monreale painter Pietro Novelli (Caravaggio school) depicting “The Election of St. Mattia an Apostle” made on a date before 1632.

 

Piazza Cappuccini, Leonforte (EN)

 

  Click to listen highlighted text! In order to thank and support the Friars Minor Capuchin Order of St. for their lavish support of the plague victims of 1624-25, Prince N. Placido Branciforte built the convent that boasted thirty cells and a library increased with generous donations by Princess Beatrice, wife of Prince Ercole Branciforte. Following the suppression of religious orders that transferred church property like this to the state, Count G. Calogero Li Destri opposed the measure, years later succeeding in winning it: thus the monastery was granted to the Capuchin Fathers who definitively redeemed him. The style is simple, almost rustic. The square that hosts it exhibits a bronze statue of St. Francesco. Inside the square-shaped courtyard with a cistern in the center, opening to the kitchen, the cellar and refectory that today houses the town library and its 14,837 volumes. On the first floor the monks occupied the cells until a few years ago. Inside the crypt is buried Giuseppe Branciforti the second, prince of Leonforte, his wife Caterina and sons Melfhiorre and Baldassarre. In the side nave is the black marble sarcophagus of Lidia, Princess Catherine, wife of N. Placido Branciforti, who died in 1634 at only 42 years of age. Do not miss the picture by the Monreale painter Pietro Novelli (Caravaggio school) depicting “The Election of St. Mattia an Apostle” made on a date before 1632.   Piazza Cappuccini, Leonforte (EN)  

 

 


BOOKING ONLINE

Scopri le strutture ricettive con il marchio di qualità del Distretto e riservati il posto migliore.

Il servizio sarà disponibile a breve

Gli Itinerarissimi

Componi con noi il puzzle delle Tue esperienze nel territorio del distretto.

Apri la brochure